Summer Camps For Teens With Autism: Seven Stars As An Alternative
Parents considering sending their child to summer camps for teens with autism might want to think about Seven Stars as an alternative option. Autism summer camps near you provide a fun experience for teens, but it may not be therapeutic. Seven Stars is a therapeutic program which blends all of the fun outdoor activities of a summer camp experience with traditional therapeutic techniques. We help teens ages 13-18 with neurodevelopmental differences such as:
- Autism Spectrum Disorder
- Level 1 Autism (Asperger’s)
- Nonverbal Learning Disorder
What Makes Seven Stars Unique From Autism Summer Camps?
Seven Stars, unlike summer camps for teens with Autism, only staff experts in the therapeutic and residential treatment field. Summer camps are staffed by college students who have little to know experience working with teens on the spectrum. Our multidisciplinary team includes several Primary Therapists with decades of experience, a BCBA licensed behavior analyst, and a speech language pathologist. At a summer camp, your teen will not get the same therapeutic and learning experience that they’ll have at Seven Stars. Here are some other reasons why our program is unique:
- We provide a multidisciplinary assessment for students. Often, parents come to us confused about the challenges their child is facing. Their child may have been misdiagnosed in the past or they have not been diagnosed at all. Throughout your child’s time at Seven Stars, we get a full picture of the behavioral and emotional challenges your child is struggling with. We then come up with treatment and next step plans.
- We blend two very different therapeutic approaches. Each week, students alternate between off campus adventure therapy excursions and being on campus taking part in talk therapy and academic programming. Learn more about our programming model here>>>
- Focus on the positives: At Seven Stars, our model is based on a positive psychology approach. That means that instead of focusing on a student’s weaknesses and challenges, we shape our programming around the strengths they already have. This helps boost confidence and creates a positive environment for our students to participate in. Learn more about our positive psychology approach here>>>
Encouraging Social Skills at Seven Stars
Many families come to Seven Stars feeling frustrated about the lack of success with their child’s diagnosis in the past. If you’re concerned about your child’s behavioral, academic, and social skills, Seven Stars might be able to help. If your child is having difficulties interacting successfully with their peers, teachers, and family members, know that you are not alone. It may seem like nothing can help your child learn how to understand social cues and get over the feeling of intimidation when they are around others. However, there is hope for your child. Seven Stars sets teens on the spectrum up for success because:
- Our program is staffed by highly qualified individuals who are dedicated to helping your teen improve their social skills. Through positive psychology, we build upon what your child is already good at. This is a tried and true method which has proven to be successful for many teens and their families.
- The staff to student ratio at Seven Stars is purposely low. This means that each student gets the individualized attention they need to achieve success.
- Our programming is multidimensional. This means that we combine a variety of evidence-based therapeutic techniques, as well as an assessment process to help teens meet goals and overcome their fears.
Adventure Therapy Programming Breaks Teens Out Of Their Shells
Each week, students split their time between adventure therapy and residential treatment settings. During their time off campus participating in adventure therapy activities, teens have the opportunity to learn exciting new skills and open the door to new challenges. These activities are designed to be exciting and enjoyable, and not stressful for teens. We meet each student where they are at within a certain activity. Activities students may experience during their time at our program may include:
- Rock climbing
- Mountain biking
- Whitewater Rafting
Learn more about adventure therapy programming at Seven Stars>>> Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, DC, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts,Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi,Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina,North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont,Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming