We Hire the Best People to Run the Best Program!
Our team provides residential and outdoor adventure programming for teenagers with neurodevelopmental issues like Autism (ASD) and ADHD. If you are interested in meaningful work, helping teens in a dynamic, positive, challenging and innovative program, then look no further!
Seven Stars seeks independent, mature, motivated, compassionate Milieu Staff who want to make a difference. Our Milieu Staff have tremendous impact on the lives of our students and their families. As provider of direct therapeutic supervision and care, you will have the chance to mentor and coach teens that are hungry for success. The work can be intense, but it is always rewarding. Our students consistently attribute their success to the examples and the help given by our amazing mentors.
Founded on proven methods from cognitive theory, neuroplasticity, behavioral re-patterning, positive psychology, self-determination, self-efficacy and a focus on strengths, Seven Stars is a premier therapeutic program for teenage boys and girls with neurodevelopmental disorders. Seven Stars’ students come from all over the U.S.; usually because they are struggling with the challenges of adolescence. Many struggle socially, behaviorally, emotionally and academically because they have fallen behind their peers in life skills. We believe our students want success. What they need to achieve that success is to be taught the skills most of their peers learn naturally. Everything we do is designed with therapeutic intent to build self-efficacy and specific coping skills. Our students graduate with a new sense of confidence, with improved life skills and with improved ability to communicate and advocate for themselves.
Seven Stars’ treatment model takes a revolutionary shift from normal therapy methods. By combining multidisciplinary residential treatment and outdoor adventure programming, our therapeutic program understands, assesses and builds the confidence and skills of students struggling with neurodevelopmental disorders. Our Treatment team includes expert therapists, psychologists, nurse practitioners, behavior specialists, paraprofessional classroom aids, offsite credentialed teachers, outdoor adventure therapy specialists, and the most important team member, YOU! Our valuable Milieu Staff.
We put it all together into one comprehensive program driven by experienced experts on how best to assess and help our special students. Seven Stars’ success can be attributed to the caliber of our team. Seven Stars needs Milieu Staff that can see the best in our students. Our Milieu Staff build the therapeutic alliance, teach skills, provide supervision and assure safety. They facilitate therapeutic experiences for the students and help them build critical life skills.
All required training is provided and Milieu Staff have the opportunity to earn their Registered Behavioral Technician certification with some off-shift study and on-shift supervision.
Qualifications to apply for these exciting, Youth Mentor and outdoor experiential learning positions:
- Positive attitude, team player, and a professional, personable approach
- Engage in the growth process for themselves and our students
- Are comfortable and enthusiastic about intervention with youth, as well as teaching and modeling mature and responsible behaviors
- Able to work in stressful situations and professionally manage student acting-out behaviors
- Solid communication skills and the ability to work in a team environment
- Attention to detail and takes responsibility for timely completion of duties
- Comfortable giving and receiving feedback with students and co-workers
- Must be comfortable leading and facilitating physical activities both indoors and out
- At least 21 years of age
- Can pass a drug screen as well as a criminal background check (mandatory)
- Clean driving record strongly preferred
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- Current First-Aid and CPR certifications
- Current advanced safety certifications (WFR, EMT, etc.)
- Related college degree
- Experience with behavioral interventions, ABA or Registered Behavioral Technician Certification
- Previous experience working with adolescents
- Professional outdoor experience with rafting, canoeing, mountain biking, rock climbing, canyoneering, backpacking, snowshoeing, skiing, etc.
Assisting the treatment team with assessment, development, coordination, implementation and evaluation of skill building and behavioral supports for assigned clients, provide one-on-one implementation of treatment plan, work with and encourage active family participation to implement treatment plan, collect data and report to supervisor weekly, adhere to other requirements outlined in state contract(s).
Positions and Work Shifts
Seven Stars Milieu Staff are needed for weekday and weekend AM shifts (7:00AM to 3:00 PM) and PM shifts (3:00 PM to 11:00 PM). We prefer that all staff are willing to work both on-campus in the residential environment and outdoors on our adventure activities. Typically, Milieu Staff are first hired on an as-needed basis (PRN). Full time shifts often become available fairly soon for those mentors who are reliable and acclimate quickly to the job. Milieu Staff are expected to have a reasonable amount of flexibility in working different shifts and picking up shifts when the need arises. Because we are a 24 hour care program with rolling admissions, and because student needs change, Milieu Staff will be asked to pick up extra shifts occasionally when needed. Over time, experienced Milieu Staff are able to establish more routine schedules if that is preferred.
Compensation & Benefits
Seven Stars seeks individuals at all levels of skill and experience. Milieu Staff with little related experience start at $12.00 per hour. After 30 days of successful employment, Milieu Staff may move to $12.50 per hour. After 90 days of successful employment, Milieu Staff may move to $13.00 dollars per hour. Milieu Staff with significant related experience (2 years or more), those with a related degree and some experience or those with a related certification such as RBT and related experience may be eligible for another increase in pay after 6 months of successful employment. Successful employment is defined as completing all required training and a track completing all required paperwork in a timely manner and no serious absenteeism or late arrivals. Subsequent raises are considered every year thereafter.
Gear and Physical Requirements
Milieu Staff and Outdoor Recreation Therapy Specialists must provide their own personal gear facilitating and supervising outdoor activities. Both must be prepared to care for themselves and others as they participate safely in outdoor adventure activities such as hiking, biking, camping, canyoneering, rafting, climbing, rappelling and skiing in all Utah climate and topography. Seven Stars operates year round and runs itineraries from 4,000 ft. to 13,000 ft. in elevation. As a result it is important to have the right gear. Milieu Staff need not be outdoor specialists. Specifically trained Outdoor Recreation Specialists provide facilitation and supervision of outdoor activities when required.
What is an Outdoor Recreation Specialist and what do they do? An Outdoor Recreation Specialist is a professional in outdoor recreation and using those outdoor activities to meet specific and general therapeutic goals. He/She is highly experienced, or will become highly experienced in activities such as: rock climbing, rappelling, biking, canoeing, rafting, backpacking, canyoneering, skiing, etc., and safely teaches these activities to students and Milieu Staff as a tool for therapy.
What if I’m not yet a professional in all of the activities Seven Stars facilitates? Can I still work at Seven Stars? Of course! Don’t worry if you currently don’t have the skills to be an Outdoor Recreation Specialist. Employee training at Seven Stars is hands on and constant. You may not feel like a professional now, but through training and experience, you will develop the skills required to be a professional Youth Mentor or Outdoor Recreation Specialist. Once hired, staff that are not as experienced are paired with experienced staff that can train you in all aspects of outdoor adventure facilitation.
How does learning outdoor skills help the students with their problems? Each skill taught at Seven Stars can be compared to real life skills that will help our students succeed. For example, rock climbing and bouldering are great ways to teach about overcoming fears and frustrations. Mentors and outdoor specialists “frontload” or teach students and each other how to be successful before the activity begins. They carefully guide, encourage and support progressive learning and growth. Each student’s challenge is adjusted to their level of skill. After each activity, Mentors and outdoor specialists sit down with their group and process the activity. This provides students with an opportunity to see personal achievement, how they can improve as well as transferring the lessons they learn to their lives in the bigger world outside of Seven Stars.
What training and professional growth opportunities are available? After receiving an offer of employment, new employees attend a full week of on campus training. This week long training involves filling out initial Human Resources paperwork and training on facility policies and procedures, job duties, supervision and student safety, crisis management, documentation, etc. You will be paid for this training. After the first week of training, mentors spend a week in a “shadow” experience. During this time, the new mentor is assigned to “shadow” an experienced mentor in order to receive more practical training.
What’s next? If you have carefully read all of the above information and are still interested in applying to Seven Stars, please follow these steps:
- Print and completely the application in the employment packet <>
- Send your completed application and resume to us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org, or mail it to us at 2650 S 2700 S, Syracuse, UT 84075, attn: Seven Stars Employment, or fax it to us at 801-217-0777.
- If you receive a call or email from us, indicating interest in interviewing you, please fill out the rest of the application packet and send the forms to use buy one of the above methods. Make sure you send the following forms:
- disclosure and authority to release information
- “Background Checks” information sheet
- drug and alcohol testing acknowledgement
- availability worksheet
- Background Screening Application (must be filled out in blue ink)
- FBI NGI privacy statement
- declarations page
- When we receive the completed application materials, Seven Stars will initiate the background check process.
- Once the initial background check is passed, we will invite you to an individual or group interview. At the conclusion of that interview, applicants will be informed if they are eligible for the next step, which is to get fingerprints and drug testing complete. This is required for the final stages of the background checks.
- After turning in the fingerprints and the drug screen, successful applicants will typically be offered a position in about one week.
- After receiving an offer of employment, the employee will be scheduled to attend the initial training week. This is typically held the first full week of each month. The training runs from 9 AM until 5 PM Monday through Friday. This week long training involves filling out initial Human Resources paperwork and training on facility and student safety, crisis management, documentation, etc. You will be paid for this training.
- After the first week of training, employees spend a week in a “shadow” experience. During this time, the new staff is assigned to “shadow” an experienced staff in order to receive more practical training.